Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Amazon.com and Their Prime Program is Prime for Tournaments

I am chairing one of our annual events this fall.  Over the years we've decided that we've had enough of trophies and ceramic platters.  We've decided that crystal or Wedgwood would be the answer.  We live near a Waterford outlet but that is way beyond our budgetary means, unlike the government.  Sorry.  No politics. Even with the discounts, no can do.  So we do their Marquis collection.
 When I went this year to find some good deals, there weren't any.  So what's a girl to do?  Well, I'm an Amazon Prime Member.  $75 a year for unlimited 2 day shipping, if shipped from their warehouses, as well as the controversial "no taxes".  When you're on a budget, the "no taxes" works for me.  So after I went to the outlet and found no deals, it was on to Amazon.  Did I find some deals!  10" Marquis bowls, $100 value, for $39.00!  I had to buy 20 prizes so I bought 2- 10" and 2- 8" pairs of candlesticks, and 16 crystal bowls.  We'll have bases made for them with engraved plaques to commemorate the event.  Those we buy from our pro.  Our pro is a very nice man but he isn't very amenable to lowing prices.  And I will dare say that seems to be the case only for our women's tournaments.  I also bought off of Amazon the newest Bushnell Tour V3 Standard Rangefinder.  It retails for $466 but Amazon had it for $279.00 with 2 day shipping and no taxes.  I had a $100 gift card from a loyalty program so I came out great...$179.00! Bushnell Tour V3 Standard Edition Golf Laser Rangefinder, White

It also helps to know someone that has a tax exception because of their business or someone you might know at a "Mart" i.e. like the Dallas Market Center or AmericasMart in Atlanta.  Every major city has one.  These contacts can save you bundles of money.  I have a friend who owns a novelty store and she was able to get, through her vendors, a participation gift that normally costs $16 each for only $6.  My money is now freed up to spend on other goodies to make the tournament a success.

Marquis by Waterford Sparkle 9-Inch Bowl Since this event is also for a charity, we have a raffle.  I've no compunction whatsoever in walking into a place I frequent for business and asking for them to help out.  I say, "the women of the world thank you."  We stopped using a national charity because we did not like where they were sending our money.  So this year we are funding a local breast cancer rehabilitation facility.  Many of our members, unfortunately, have had to utilize their services.  We know how the money is spent and we know it helps the women within our midst.  My dentist, my physical therapist, my colorist, my niece who has an online business, book club buddies with businesses, personal trainers that my husband works out with, my husband's favorite pizza joint,  even an author that signed his new book, all candidates for donations.

Don't be shy.  The women of the world will thank you :))

No comments:

Post a Comment