Thursday, April 3, 2014

Oblivious = Slow

A year or so ago I wrote a piece entitled Deliberate = Slow.  Today I would like to add to that by saying Oblivious = Slow.  Today I had a match play event against another club.  My partner and I are considered to be "B" players.  So we're on the cusp of greatness but just can not ever manage to jump over the greatness cliff.
 But we do know how to play a good round, know the rules, understand golf etiquette, and have pace of play ingrained in our beings.  If during a match play we fall one hole behind, we are put on notice and if we're still a hole behind, we have to skip a hole and halve the hole, which we do not wish to do. We were playing against two ladies that were OBLIVIOUS as to the concept of pace of play. We're on a par 4 cart path only hole that has a steep hill to descend.  The drives are spread out in the fairway.  My partner is the farthest from the hole, my two competitors are the next two and then myself.  My partner goes to her ball and gets ready to hit.  I walk to my ball and place myself out of the way of the others and measure distance etc.,  and then turn to watch.  Meanwhile our competitors are sitting in their cart.  It isn't until my partner hits that the next one up gets out of the cart, walks to her ball and then hits... to lay up.  Her partner is still sitting in the cart.  The one in the cart then waits until her partner gets back in the cart and drives her to a location to get out of the cart and THEN walks to her ball.   Now I don't know about you but this irritates the crap out of me.  What's worse is that it makes ME speed up... not take a practice swing, swing too quickly etc.  At this point, the group in front of us is getting ready to leave their green and we aren't even on ours. What to do?  The only thing one can do.  Tell them that our pro staff is very stringent about pace of play and that I was sorry to bring it up but we HAD TO MOVE!  It was a tight match and we didn't want to halve the hole DID WE?  We got to the last hole with my partner and I one up and needed to halve the hole or win it.  We tied and won 2 1/2 to 1/2.

If you have players in your organization that are like this, please, for the love of what's good, give them some lessons on pace of play.  Most will put the advice to good use and then the others...

1 comment:

  1. I am very amazed by the information of this blog and i am glad i had a look over the blog. thank you so much for sharing such great information.
    Junior girl golf apparel
    <a href="http://www.kissicouture.com/product-category/bottoms/skorts/>Girl golf outfits</a>

    ReplyDelete