Tuesday, June 3, 2014

How to Put More 3's on Your Score Card

I know I said this wasn't going to be so much about technique etc.  But I have found I'm not playing as much golf as usual and some of my skills have slipped.  The best thing to do, of course, is to take a lesson.
 But, here are some tips that might help you get on more par threes in regulation.  I played today and it wasn't getting on in reg that was the problem.  It was 3 PUTTING! This is from Golf Digest by David Ledbetter.  This is for those who are trying to consistently break 100.   I do but this is still a great refresher.

1.  Take one more club:  The common tendency is to overestimate the distance you hit the ball, so take an extra club to ensure you don't come up short.  Grip down an inch for control.  With more club, you'll  flight the ball lower, which limits how much it veers off line.  (Can you say shankapotomus?)

2.  Tee the ball higher:  From a slightly higher tee, you'll make more of a sweeping swing.  This will improve your distance control and accuracy by taking spin off of the ball and increasing carry.  Good, because you usually have to fly a par-3 shot all the way to the green.  (I don't know about that.  I had a hole in one by bowling it up to the hole.)

3.  Aim for the center:  Forget where the flag is, and try to put the ball in the middle of the green.  Also, you should adjust your aim to allow for your typical shot shape.  Hit the middle, and you should have an easy two putt to just about any hole location.  (My mantra is just GET IT ON THE GREEN!)

4.  Finish in balance:  Your playing partners might give you grief for posing, but hold your finish.  Remember, it's not distance, but distance control you're after.  There's no reason to swing violently.  Go at a pace that allows you to keep your balance all the way through.  (Why did I try to kill that?)

So, there you have it.  I've fixed your game with one blog.  Enjoy your season!

2 comments:

  1. Please tell me that youre going to keep this up! Its so good and so important. I cant wait to read more from you. I just feel like you know so much and know how to make people listen to what you have to say. This blog is just too cool to be missed. Great stuff, really. Please, PLEASE keep it up!
    Junior girl golf apparel
    <a href="http://www.kissicouture.com/blog/tag/girl-golf-apparel/>Girl golf outfits</a>

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very helpful tips for those who want to improve their game.

    ReplyDelete