Sunday, March 24, 2013

Deliberate = Slow

While watching the Bay Hill Invitational, I listened to Johnny Miller opining on the thing that most irritates PGA players.  It happens to be slow play.  I'm sure we all remember Sergio and his hand gripping and Keegan Bradley's "dance" before hitting a ball.  They're not all  like Brandt Snedeker.
 That is not a problem that just faces PGA and LPGA players.  Why, here in our own back yard, within our own golf associations, we also have slow players.  I've learned this about slow players.  They are not slow.  Just ask them.  Me?  No.  But Susie?  Now she's slow.

We've had seminar after seminar after seminar on how to speed up play.  I don't need to give you a laundry list of how to speed up play because, hopefully, your pro or your organization deals with this issue.  But let's face it.  Some   people    are    just    slow.  Walking talking slowness.  In the same vein as the low talker or close talker. We actually have a duo- a slow walker and a low talker.  Makes for a fun cart companion.  Sweet lady but... Once upon a time we did have a member who drove everybody nuts.  It was a good thing she was a good player because if she was a mediocre player or high handicapper, AND played as slowly as she did, because no one would have wanted to play with her.  My partner and I played with this lady and her partner during our member member.  I had not played with this lady before.  My partner had.  By the time we got to the 6th hole, I was about to tear my hair out.  My partner told me to not look and go run around the cart a few times.  This lady would be talking, shooting the breeze really,while taking a leisurely practice swing.  She'd get up to the ball, take two to three practice swings, talk some more, take another leisurely practice swing (she was taking this being in the south "slow" thing way too far) and then would, finally, hit the ball.

My husband and I were invited to play in a couples tournament and unfortunately we were paired with this lady and her husband.  5 1/2 hours later, a full hour after the other couples had come in, we finally dragged our frustrated butts in for a much needed drink.  We did not sit with this couple.  We couldn't take it.  The other people at our table asked what had taken us so long.  I said, (the lady's name).  And went on to give some examples about her play. Well, she heard me.  After the event, she came up to me and said that she had over heard me and that she was NOT slow and that she was just deliberate.  I then pointed out that we were an hour later than everyone else.  Why was that?  She said,  my score of 80 is a direct consequence of the way I play.  I'm deliberate and if you don't like it, too bad.  She stomped off.  Luckily, the lady is no longer a member of our club.  

A Woman Who Loves Golf 




No comments:

Post a Comment