Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Golf Game Calcutta but Done a Woman's Way

You might want to think about adding these two events to any of your tournaments.  We do these two at our member guest.  The first event is the Calcutta but as we women call it, "The Horse Race" to the finish!  If you're unfamiliar with a Calcutta, it's basically you bet on teams that are participating in an alternate shot event.
 For us, it's the two top low net teams from each flight.  When you bet, you bet that a team or teams  either wins, places or shows. So once the scoreboard has all of the scores on it, the pros check to see which teams will participate.   We had four flights so 8 teams participated.  The rest of the field follows along in their carts and normally are drinking by now.  THEY don't have the pressure of participating.  Each team is given 0-2 strokes depending on handicaps.  Starting on #1, each team had to decide which player would drive the ball and then alternate shot from there.  You have to stay with the same ball throughout the hole.  My partner is a little bitty thing and a young 40ish.  She can bomb the ball.  She hit a beautiful drive 50 yards from the green, about 220.  My turn.  I did a nice bump and run but the greens were fast and it ran to the back of the green.  The pin was +8.  We had it surrounded.  My partner put it 10 feet from the hole.  I drained it and on to the next hole.  4 teams were eliminated in this round.  If there is a tie, there is a chip off.  The pro picks the spot, the team not going first turns their backs to the hole and then chip away.  My turn to drive.  I hit a nice drive 120 yards from the hole.  My partner hits hers thin and into a back green bunker with hard, wet sand.  I promptly shank a potamus it into another bunker.  She gets out and leaves me a good 30 footer.  I drain it to tie for 3rd.  Chip off!  Now I'm not the best chipper in the world but I put that puppy 2" from the hole!  3rd place baby!  And we bet on ourselves :)) Who wouldn't?  Two teams were eliminated and two teams went on.  My partner and I ended up doubling our investment.

The second fun event is the "gold rush".  We sell raffle tickets for the opportunity to "pan for gold".  The chairing committee then takes the raffle money and gets only $20, $50 and $100 bills (the more raffle tickets sold, the more money in the "pan" and a better opportunity to win.  They wrap them in gold foil.  If your raffle ticket is picked (we write names on the backs of the tickets), you get to pan for gold.  I think the first year I won $100.  This year nada, zip, zilch.  But when a woman opens a foil and finds a $100 bill, well, the screams begin.

1 comment: