Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Formats for Tournaments...Can You Ever Satisfy Everyone?

I have been in charge of many of our major tournaments over the years.  From our Member Guest, to our Member Member to our Solheim Cups. I know that's a sentence fragment but just go with it.  The women always accept the Solheim format which is 6 holes scramble, 6 holes best ball and 6 holes alternate shot.  But when it comes to a tournament like the M/G or M/M, whoa, does the bitching start.  I can see how the M/G format should be more player fun.  But for me, the M/M means it's a team event with big prizes and the TEAM should earn it,  My goodness you would think the world is coming to an end when I want to in some way count both players scores, even on a divided format.  Here's what we've tried:


Straight stroke play...doesn't work because you've got 36 handicappers hitting 17 strokes on one hole.

9 and 9 for both days...gives full handicaps and the lower handicappers get pissed even though they're likely to win low gross rather than low net.

9 and 9 one day and best ball the next.  I don't like best ball because one player can dominate the play.  It's a team!

Solheim format...even though they are quite willing to do this during Solheim, with a partner, better not do this during M/M.

We tried this for this year...9 and 9 one day and then 2/1/2 meaning 2 scores on the par 3's and 2 scores on the par 5's and 1 score on the par 4's.  Our club champion complained it was too much pressure to have to take 2 scores on the 3's and 5's. Please...

Texas Step Aside...that's too easy in my opinion.

Scramble?  Way too easy.

Help me out here...Any suggestions?  I'm chairing the M/M again next year and need some ideas.

Thank you ladies!




3 comments:

  1. Love this blog. You are so spot on with your thoughts and comments. I am in need of ideas for a member guest tournament I'm in charge of to include about 80 plus women. The theme is "around the world in 18 holes" - any fun ideas you may have? I really appreciate any input you may have to offer. Thank so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my Aug. 26 reply to this post: http://womanlovesgolf.blogspot.com/2012/07/themes-for-member-guest-or-member.html...I have some ideas

      Delete
  2. I recently viewed your blog where a themed tournament was "Par for the Corpse" - the game was based on the "Clue" game. Would love to have more information on this game and other ideas you might have on this theme. Thanks

    ReplyDelete