Saturday, November 22, 2014

What Do You Expect?

Last month I played in a match play event that pitted me against a 7 handicap.  Ok, she had to give me 13 strokes.  One would think one could do something with that.  Well, one can always hope.  I lost 3/2.  I came home and my husband asked me how I played.  Not well I said.  He looked at me and cautiously said, now don't get mad at me for saying this but what did you expect?  You don't practice, you haven't played as much as you normally do and you don't take lessons.  I did not hit him with my putter.  I hate it when he is right...


We took a trip to Whistling Straits to play there.  Included in the price was a half hour lesson.  My hubby said I should take it.  I guess that was a hint.  Anyway, the pro asked me what handicap goal did  have.  I was a 16 at the time.  I said, thinking big, single digits.  He looks at me and says, well, let me tell you about the commitment you'll have to make.  You'll have to play at least twice a week, practice at least 2-3 times a week and take at least a couple of lessons a month.  I asked, then how about a 15?  Most of the single digit players I know have been playing since they were kids or at least since high school.  I took up golf when I was 45.  It's 18 years later and I think single digits is beyond me now.  I've gone up to a 23 because of all of the things my husband mentioned.  Next year I'm going to make a concerted effort to get that handicap down.  I'll let you know how that goes...

So I guess what I'm trying to say is why do golfers, who don't practice, don't take lessons and don't play but once or so a month, think they're going to go out there and shoot a 72.  I guess because that one special day when you did go out there and shoot your best round is locked in your memory forever.  And you may, you just may, do it again...Every 4-5 years:)) I played today for the first time in two months.  I had no expectations.  My husband saw my playing partner and asked how I was doing.  She said not well but she's not letting it bother her.  I didn't because what did I expect?

No comments:

Post a Comment